Friday, August 12, 2011

Little Soliders

Overheard in our house over the past few days:

Me: "Look, Moses. The banana turns brown when you put it in the refrigerator."
Moses: "Like I turned brown!"

All three boys in unison: "Oh, I love Joseph of Arimathea!"

Joshua: "Oh, I love Jesus! I really just do love Jesus! He is my favorite man."

Moses: "I'm going to ride a horse and kill Indians with my sword. George Washington did that. He was a very, very good man."

That last quote was inspired by a recent visit to Mount Vernon with Mimi and Papa which included a movie that featured George Washington fighting in the French and Indian War. Mimi tried to shield Moses' eyes during the more graphic battle scenes, but he persistently evaded her and was completely entranced by the images of war, as were Caleb and Joshua. Ever since Joe came home with "hard swords" from the Variety Store, the boys have been proudly walking around with swords and sheaths stuck down their underwear or secured in makeshift belts made with Daddy's old neckties. They all like to sing the song, "I'm in the Lord's army, yes sir!" and Joshua has declared that he is going to be a solider when he grows up. Today when we were driving around Fort Belvoir he excitedly pointed out all the soldiers he saw walking around in uniform. His loud voice certainly would make him a pretty good drill sergeant!

No comments:

Post a Comment