Monday, December 1, 2008

Studying the Thomas Catalog

One of Joshua's favorite things to do is study the catalog that comes with each new Thomas train and pick out which trains he would next like to add to his collection. He usually begins by prompting me to ask him, "Which one do you want?" Today I thought it would be fun to record part of my conversation with Joshua while he pored over the latest catalog.

Joshua: (patting his hand on the floor next to him) Mommy, come and sit down. Which one do you want? How 'bout this?
Me: You want Fergus?
Joshua: Ok, Mommy, ok. How 'bout this one?
Me: Emily? Emily is too big.
Joshua: Yeah, Emily is too big.
Me: How about Salty? (Mimi has already bought Salty for the boys, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try to spark interest in him)
Joshua: (launching into a lengthy monologue) Salty is too big. I don't like that one. No, I don't think so. How 'bout Trevor for Christmas? How 'bout Trevor? Ok? Come on, let's go. How 'bout Rusty? No, I don't like that one Rusty. You'll get Trevor for Christmas. How 'bout Terrence?
Me: You want Terrence for Christmas?
Joshua: Ok, Mommy, you be a good boy, you get Terrence for Christmas. How about Edward?
Me: You already have Edward.
Joshua: How 'bout Thomas?
Me: You already have 5 different Thomases.
Joshua: How 'bout this?
Me: Neville? (Joshua leans over to study Neville, decides to pass).
Joshua: How 'bout this?
Me: Culdee and the Apple Orchard Cars?
Joshua: Yeah, Culdee. It's like, Culdee.

We have these discussions a lot. I think most parents of toddler boys would agree with me when I say that the people who market these Thomas trains are geniuses... pure geniuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment