Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Pregnancy Update (33 weeks)

Since I haven't talked about this pregnancy much on this blog, I thought I'd give a little update. I visited my midwife today (33 weeks) and confirmed my suspicion that the baby is still vertex (head down) and posterior (his back is aligned with my spine). My mission is to try to get him to flip so that he will be facing my spine. My midwife showed me some exercises I can do to help achieve this goal, and also suggested visiting a chiropractor familiar with the Webster technique. I am amazed by how my midwife can tell exactly how my baby is positioned just by feeling my belly. She keeps me in the loop and gives me so much more useful information and advice than my ob-gyn doctor ever gave me when I was pregnant with the twins. I'm so glad I'm seeing a midwife this time around!

My belly has been measuring at least 2 weeks ahead throughout most of this pregnancy (at one point it was 5 weeks ahead!) and the same remains true today. I'm curious to see if it's just b/c my belly is stretched out from having twins, or if it's because of the way the baby is positioned, or if it's because he's going to be a whopper. My mom, who is much more petite than I am, doesn't let me forget that I was 9 lbs. 7 oz. when I was born, so it'll be interesting to see if this baby will follow in his mommy's footsteps!

I am thankful that this pregnancy has been rather uneventful overall. I thought my twin pregnancy wasn't all that bad, and now I can speak from experience and say that being pregnant with a singleton is definitely much easier than being pregnant with twins, even with a couple of toddlers thrown into the mix. I can still walk around, take the boys shopping, cook dinner, vacuum, etc., without much discomfort. I'm sure glad I had my twins first to help put things into perspective!

Caleb and Joshua are anxiously awaiting the arrival of their baby brother, whom they still refer to as "Baby Moses". They always look forward to our midwife visits, and when it's time to hear the baby's heartbeat they become very excited. At our previous visit, Caleb was standing outside the door when I laid down on the bed and my midwife pulled out her ultrasound equipment. Joshua knew that meant it was time to hear the baby's heartbeat, so he called out, "Caleb! Come here and see baby brother! Come here, Caleb!" Their enthusiasm is heartwarming. Throughout the day they are constantly hugging and kissing my belly and saying, "There's a baby in there! Baby brotherrrr!" Both boys are always happy to see their friends' baby siblings so they can gently stroke the babies' hair and give them kisses. I am confident that they will be loving, nurturing big brothers!

No comments:

Post a Comment