Sunday, December 7, 2008

It's Mary!

With Christmas quickly approaching, we have recently been reading the boys a lot of books about Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus. The other evening we were at the drugstore when Caleb suddenly became very excited and exclaimed, "Mary! It's Mary, Mommy! See Mary? It's Mary!" At first I was confused since Caleb doesn't personally know anyone named Mary. I quickly scoped out the area he was pointing towards and didn't see any Nativity scenes on display, but Caleb continued to insist that he saw "Mary". Then it struck me-- he was pointing to a young Muslim woman a few aisles over whose headcovering resembled the attire that Mary the mother of Jesus is usually seen wearing in the boys' illustrated Christmas books. I couldn't help but chuckle as I made this connection, causing Caleb to become visibly embarrassed and concerned that his assessment might be incorrect. So I assured him that he was right, he had indeed found Mary. He was clearly quite proud of himself for making such an important discovery :)

No comments:

Post a Comment