Friday, October 2, 2009

Hummus Tummus

One of the great things about the boys' preschool is that the parents take turns bringing in healthy snacks to share, and the children serve themselves family-style. While I think I'm pretty good about exposing to (or should I say "forcing upon") the boys a variety of healthy foods, there are some things I've never bothered with, one of those being hummus. Yesterday's school snack consisted of whole wheat bagels, carrot sticks, and hummus. Much to my surprise, Mrs. Lavergne reported to me that Caleb, who is usually suspicious of new foods, simply couldn't get enough of those smushed chick peas. Joshua, of course, wanted nothing to do with the stuff. So after school I asked Caleb, "what did you eat at school today?" and he told me he ate, "bagels, carrots, and tummus."

"Tummus?" I asked. "Don't you mean 'hummus'?"

Caleb grinned and replied, "No, Mommy. Tummus. Tummus Jefferson!"

1 comment:

  1. The comment below is from Lenz. I just had to share...

    This is the league your boys are already playing in:

    As narrator Glass puts it, "One Sunday morning, I went into a crowded deli with the absurd name of La Bagel Delight. I was intending to ask for a cinnamon-raisin bagel, but the word caught in my mouth and came out as cinnamon-reagan.

    "Without missing a beat, the young guy behind the counter answered: ’Sorry, we don’t have any of those. How about a pumpernixon instead?’ Fast. So damned fast, I nearly wet my drawers."

    http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/29/1/29_01paulauster.html

    Lenz

    ReplyDelete