Friday, October 30, 2009

George Washington's Lap

A couple days ago the boys and I were driving down the GW Parkway, and as we approached Mount Vernon, I told them that we were about to drive by George Washington's house. Caleb got very excited and asked, "want to go sit on George Washington's lap?" I explained to him that he couldn't because George Washington died a long time ago, but the boys have yet to grasp the concept of death, so he's asked again several times since then. He probably got the idea because recently we have been talking about sitting on Santa Claus' lap this Christmas, and the boys have assured me that this year they would sit on his lap and not cry. We'll see whether or not they follow through... I for one am not placing any bets. Anyway, I guess the boys have assumed that you're supposed to sit on the lap of any old man with white hair. When you look at the world through the eyes of an almost-4-year-old, you realize that a lot of our cultural norms are really pretty strange.

In other news, you should once again be able to leave comments on our blog. I know that most of you are silent lurkers, but comments are always welcome and appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. I like George Washington better than Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI - We now have "Daddy Slop" at our house. It is about the cutest remark!! After reading about it and sending the blog to Uncle Jay, we got so hungry for it that we had "Daddy Slop" for supper last week - and it tasted better than Sloppy Joes ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the "daddy slop" post -- that was one of the funniest things I've heard lately! Mike and I laughed like crazy about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Joshua was able to provide culinary inspiration and laughs! Thanks for your comments, guys... I feel so loved :)

    ReplyDelete