Thursday, October 15, 2009

Daddy Slop

In light of the cold, rainy weather we've been having recently, we decided that a dinner of homemade chili--something we haven't had since last winter--would hit the spot. So I threw a batch together, and when the boys came home from preschool this afternoon, Joshua peered into the crockpot and proclaimed, "it's daddy slop."

"What's that?" I asked, confused. "Daddy slop", Joshua reiterated. And then it hit me. The chili looked exactly like the sloppy Joes filling that I often cook for dinner, and of course Joshua is well aware that his daddy's name is Joe. From now on I think we'll have a new name for sloppy Joes in our household!

And now for a slightly less palatable anecdote from today. I asked the boys what they did at school, and as usual the first thing to come to mind was what they had for snack. Caleb told me that he ate crackers and oranges, and that the worms ate oranges, too. At first I thought he was making stuff up, and then remembered catching a glimpse of a new addition to their classroom--a worm composting bin. The children must have put their orange peels in the composting bin after snacktime. Caleb then went on to tell me that "the worms look like red spaghetti." Lovely. I think I'll stick to daddy slop for the time being ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment