Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Our Little Giant goes to Giant

Moses is 6 weeks old today. Lately he has been operating on a 48-hour schedule in which he alternates between sleepy nap-filled days and days where he hardly blinks an eye. Before we figured this out, we took him to our favorite Korean buffet one day for lunch last week--a day that turned out to be a very wakeful day--and he demanded to be bounced or held the entire time. We can't complain, though, because that was the first time we've taken him to a restaurant and he didn't sleep through most of our meal.

At 6 weeks of age, Moses is a veritable giant. He has completely outgrown all of his 0-3 month clothes, and even some of his 3-6 month clothes are almost too tight in the torso, even when he's not wearing a bulky cloth diaper. When we take him out and people ask us how old he is, they're usually shocked when we tell them that he's only a little over a month old. Heck, when we took him to the Korean resturant to celebrate Sooja Emo's birthday when he was only one week old, the waitress asked us if he was 3 or 4 months old!

To commemorate Moses' 6-week-birthday today, I decided to venture out to the grocery store all by myself with all three boys in tow. This was my first attempt to do so, and everything went smoothly, thanks to Giant's huge fleet of car carts (to keep Caleb and Joshua happy, even though I refused to race them down the aisles and around the parking lot as Daddy is apt to do) and thanks to Moses' willingness to sleep in the Hotsling the entire time we were in the store (yes, today is one of his sleepy days). I even had my wits about me enough to use a couple coupons. The icing on the cake was that the twins, who have not been napping consistently lately, fell asleep on the way home. It was a great outing!

Today's pleasant experience brought to mind my first solo outing to the grocery store with Caleb and Joshua, 3 long years ago. Incidentally, that outing had also been to Giant, which is strange because we usually go to Safeway or Trader Joe's. Anyway, I remember the twins cried incessantly as I raced up and down the aisles like a madwoman (forsaking the luxuries of deliberating between products and making prudent selections) and relied on the kindness of the cashiers and an elderly Spanish-speaking lady to get through the check-out line and out to my car in one piece. Ah yes, yet another example of the stark dichotomy between life with an infant singleton and life with infant twins!

3 comments:

  1. The earliest grocery store experience I can remember is when we went to the Kingstowne Safeway and the boys had recently learned how to make these high pitched squeals. Our cashier, who looked like he was about 12 years old, seemed very irritated and was making passive-aggressive comments, even though we were in the line for all of 2 minutes at most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I remember that! I think they were a bit older then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, they were old enough to ride in the car cart then. I'm sure we went to the store together plenty of times before then, though, I just don't remember those occurrences. If only those cashiers had been young punks, too, then maybe I would have remembered.

    ReplyDelete