Monday, March 2, 2009

Moses' First Snow (2 Weeks Old)

No, we are not crazy enough to take our newborn out to play in the snow, but I do think it's noteworthy that despite being born in the second half of February, Moses didn't have to wait around another nine months or so before seeing his first snowfall!

It's hard to believe that Moses will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. Joe and I are still in awe that he is such an easy baby. For example, last night he slept 6 hours straight. The night before, he slept 5 hours straight. And for three consecutive nights before that, he slept 7 (yes, count 'em, SEVEN) hours straight! Who knew that a one-week-old was even capable of sleeping 7 hours at a time? Neither of the twins slept 7 consecutive hours until they were at least 2 years old.

God blessed us with a sleepy baby at a perfect time, too. The day before Moses slept his first 7-hour stretch, I had been feeling pretty terrible physically for a couple of days. Concerned that something might be seriously wrong with me, my family was urging me to schedule an appointment with the OB/GYN office. Not thrilled with the prospect of having yet another doctor lecture me about how irresponsible I was to attempt a VBAC homebirth with a post-term baby, I instead decided to go visit my midwife first and get her opinion, which was basically that I should stop taking the iron tablets the surgeon at the hospital had prescribed for me because they were wreaking havoc on my tummy, and most importantly, that I needed to get more rest. After all, it's not easy on one's body to endure 44 hours of sleepless labor, only to immediately follow it with major surgery. And that very night was when Moses slept 7 consecutive hours for the first time. I am so thankful to have a God who is looking out for me.

In fact, God has blessed us with many people who have been looking out for us in the aftermath of Moses' birth. Family, neighbors, church friends, and co-workers have been blessing us with meals, which has helped more than they can imagine. Mimi and Papa have been a huge help, as always, by taking the twins over to their house almost every day for the past 2 weeks so Joe and I can get rest and get things done around the house. There is no way we could be doing as well as we are now without everyone's help.

The twins have been handling the transition pretty well, too. Joshua has definitely shown more interest in his new baby brother than Caleb has. He is constantly rubbing Moses' head (probably why his hair always appears greasy even though I've been shampooing it every few days), giving him kisses, trying to burp him after he eats, and bringing me his burp cloths and blankets, etc. Caleb is much more reserved and will only sometimes timidly ask to touch Moses or give him a kiss.

The twins spent their first night away from Mommy and Daddy exactly two weeks ago during my second night of labor, and since then they've become perfectly well-adjusted to being away from Mommy, something I'd once feared would never be the case. While I was in the hospital I only saw them for a few minutes a day at most (going one whole day without seeing them at all) and even then they spent most of their visiting time playing with the bathroom door. Now when it's time for them to go play at Mimi and Papa's house, they nonchalantly say, "bye, Mommy!" and make a beeline for the car. Sometimes Joshua even says, "Mommy, you stay here" as he's heading out the door.

Also, the boys did not protest when we moved them out of our bedroom on Moses' first night at home. They now sleep in their own room (with Daddy, for the time being) and Caleb has only cried for me a few times in the past week and a half. Joshua hasn't cried for me at all. It's as if the introduction of baby brother Moses to their lives has caused them to grow up overnight (I'm also pretty sure they've also grown a few inches over the past couple weeks, but maybe that's just me)!

1 comment:

  1. Katie he is just adorable! After reading about Moses & knowing mine & Nancy's experiences with our post-twins babies I firmly believe that God rewards us for surviving the twin chaos. Im so glad the boys are all doing well! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete