Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I Don't Want Mommy to be Scared

One evening a few months ago, Joe suggested that he take the boys to the grocery store after dinner. As usual, the boys cheered and scurried to put on their shoes. After all, going to the grocery store with Daddy was a huge treat, since it meant riding in Daddy's car and often resulted in the purchase of organic chocolate milk. Joe was in the habit of just taking the twins and leaving Moses at home with me, but on this particular evening Moses made it clear that he wanted to be included as "one of the guys". The boys had excitedly congregated by the front door when Joshua realized that if all three brothers accompanied Daddy to the store, that would leave Mommy at home alone.

At first Joshua tried to persuade me to come along to the store, but for whatever reason I needed to stay at home. Then he tried to persuade Moses to stay at home with me as usual, but that wasn't going to fly, either. And Caleb of course was not willing to budge. Joshua was on the verge of tears when he pleaded, "But I don't want Mommy to be scared! I don't want Mommy to be alone!"

I tried to assure Joshua that I wouldn't be scared or sad, and that they'd only be gone for half an hour at most, but he wouldn't stand for it. Holding back tears, Joshua slipped off his shoes and retreated to my side, telling his brothers and Daddy to go on without him, that he would "stay at home with Mommy so she won't be scared". At that point, I was the one holding back tears as I realized what a tender heart my four-year-old son had, that he was willing to sacrifice one of his favorite activities--going to the grocery store with Daddy in Daddy's car--to ensure that his Mommy wouldn't be scared and alone.

So Joe, Caleb, and Moses went to the store while a somber Joshua kept me company at home. When they returned from the store, Joe took Joshua for a ride around the block all by himself in Daddy's car. Even though this happened a few months ago, I haven't forgotten it, and every now and then Joshua will remind me of it, too. He'll say, "Remember, Mommy, when I didn't want you to be scared?" and he'll smile and give me a hug. I'm telling you, they don't make boys any sweeter than my Joshua.

No comments:

Post a Comment