Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Playing Mother-Baby & Moses is 1.5

At 18 months old, Moses continues to amaze us with his verbal communication skills and dexterity. For example, the other day he was playing with some interlocking plastic blocks and was having difficulty getting two blocks to interlock, so he turned to me and said, "Help me? Help me?" but before I had the chance to help him, he had figured it out on his own and proudly told me, "Did it! Did it!" Even the twins sometimes have difficulty building with these particular blocks, so I was pretty impressed. Moses is quick to figure things out on his own, and if he can't figure something out right away, he doesn't give up easily. As far as he is concerned, he can do everything his brothers can do.

For this and other reasons, I'm so glad that Joshua and Caleb are interested in things that seem to be younger than age-appropriate. While many of their friends are swooning over Spiderman and Star Wars, the twins are still wild about Thomas, Cars, Sesame Street, Toy Story, and Winnie the Pooh. And lately they've been going through a mother-baby phase where they'll find a large and small version of a stuffed animal and one boy will play the "mommy" and the other boy will play the "baby". It all started with a Curious George "mommy" and a Beanie Baby monkey "baby". The boys create dialogues between the mommy and baby in which the baby rides on his mother's back (they learned in a book that this is how mother monkeys carry their young), the baby gets thirsty and drinks "mama" (nurses), takes naps, waits for daddy to come home from work, etc. Sometimes when they're engaging in their imaginary mother-baby dialogue, I will mistakenly respond when I hear someone say, "Mama" and the boys will become exasperated with me and say, "No, Mommy, the baby monkey is talking!" Oh, of course, silly me. While I know this type of imaginary play isn't typical behavior for almost-5-year-old boys, I think it's very sweet and is a lovely respite from the rough-housing that usually goes on around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment