Thursday, July 29, 2010

White or Brown?

Today, out of the blue, Joshua patted his cheeks and said, "Mommy, I'm white."

"Oh really?" I replied. "What color is Caleb?"

"Caleb's white, too," he said. "How about Moses?" I asked.

"Moses is brown."

"Oh, is that so? What about Daddy?"

"He's white," Joshua replied confidently. When I asked him what color I am, however, he had to deliberate briefly before deciding that I, too, am "white". Joshua concluded that Mimi, however, is "brown". He told me that Babo and Sooja Emo are also "brown", as are his friends Branden, Catalina, Bryce, Logan, and Ryker. On the other hand, Papa, Uncle Chris, and Granny are all "white".

What a blessing it is to have such a diverse group of friends and family! Our boys may not be colorblind, but there's no question that in their minds, color really is only skin-deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment