Monday, June 22, 2009

James Polk

"What letter does James Polk begin with?"

Yes, James Polk as in the 11th President of the United States. This is an actual question Joshua asked me yesterday. And I can't help but wonder how many other 3-year-olds have asked their mothers this same question?

Caleb and Joshua have been studying their U.S. Presidents placemat diligently. They can now identify about half of the presidents. Certain presidents seem to intrigue them more than others. For instance, I don't think they've ever inquired about Rutherford B. Hayes, which is probably a good thing since "Rutherford" is quite a mouthful. Besides James Polk, the names we hear tossed around most often these days are George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson (whom the boys affectionately refer to as "Mr. Johnson"), Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter (formerly known as "The Raisin"), Ronald Reagan, George Bush 41, and George Bush 43, whom the boys fondly refer to as "President Bush"... we don't have the heart to tell them he's not president anymore!

6 comments:

  1. I've also heard them talk about James Madison quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the heart to tell them that 22 and 24 are not twins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just came across your blog and wanted to say
    that I have really liked reading your blog posts. Anyway
    I'll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I think we have the same placemat. Michael is more into his Sesame Street alphabet placemat right now, though, so he hasn't really started working on his presidents yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, yeah, they do talk about James Madison and John Adams, but they also get them mixed up (creating hybrids like James Adams and John Madison) which is why I excluded them from the list. Also, I find it somewhat disconcerting that they seem so much more interested in James Madison than Thomas Jefferson!

    Lenz, I'm assuming you're talking about Grover Cleveland? I'm holding a sleeping baby and don't have the placemat within reach right now (nevermind that I have the world wide web at my fingertips) :)

    Kellan, he'll be studying up on his presidents in no time! We've had ours for a while now (we snatched it up right after the election this past November before the placemat company had a chance to release an updated version) but the boys have only recently taken an interest in learning the guys' names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update: The boys got quite a few bewildered stares yesterday at Trader Joe's when they were walking around the store shouting, "James Madison! John Quincy Adams!" etc. I could tell that people were thinking to themselves, "Did he just say what I thought he said?"

    ReplyDelete