Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Something is Growing Inside of Me

I did my best to transcribe the conversation I had with the boys earlier this summer when I first told them that we were going to have another baby:

Joshua: Mommy, why do you feel sick all the time?

Me: Because something is growing inside of me.

Caleb: Is it a banana?

Joshua: Is it a tomato plant? (Context: we had recently planted tomato plants in the garden).

Me: Not quite. It's something that's alive.

Caleb: A snake? (Context: he had recently been slightly traumatized by the sight of a big black snake in the front yard).

Joshua: Cucumber plants? (Context: we had recently planted cucumber plants).

Caleb: What color is it?

Me:  Probably peach

Caleb: An orange?

Joshua: A pineapple? Is it brown?

Me: Maybe brown or peach.

Joshua: Coconut?

Caleb: An apricot? A peach?

Joshua: Ginger? Ginger cookies? (Context: candied ginger and ginger cookies, which are supposed to suppress nausea, were among the few things the boys witnessed me eating in those days).

Caleb: A tree?

Joshua: Strawberry plants? (Context: the boys had recently helped me plant a bunch of strawberry plants).

Me: What grows inside of bellies?

Caleb: A little baby? (I nodded my head). Are you kiddin?

Joshua: Is it fake or is it real?

Caleb: Are you sure?

Joshua: Will it be Moses' twin?

Caleb: Moses! Mommy has a baby in her belly!

Joshua: What should we call him? Kevin? John?

Moses: Probably I want to call him Giddyup

Caleb: I think it will be a girl

Moses: I want to have a sister.

Joshua: I only want to have brothers.

Caleb: Where will the baby sleep? In bed with Mommy?

Me: Yes.

Caleb: Where will Moses sleep?

Me: In your room.

Moses: My sister will sleep in my bed?

Caleb: Moses, you will sleep in our room.

Moses: I will, for my sister. (Moses started sleeping in his brothers' room soon afterwards, but not until after he back-pedaled on his kind words and vehemently protested the arrival of a person smaller than himself)!

No comments:

Post a Comment