Thursday, October 6, 2011

Twin in the Mirror

This afternoon I took Caleb and Moses to Target while Joshua went to a play date at his classmate Owen's house. Caleb was upset that he didn't have a play date to attend, and decided that retail therapy would be the best cure for his blues. While walking through the shoe department, Caleb did a double-take as he strode past a full-length mirror. "What's the matter?" I asked him. "Oh, I thought that I saw Joshua but it was just me," he replied, smiling sheepishly. Only an identical twin could have that sort of problem!

It was also touching because I could tell that Caleb genuinely missed his twin. Their teachers have told me, and I've seen for myself while volunteering in the cafeteria at lunchtime, that they will call out to each other and wave happily whenever they see each other during the school day. I suppose that having them in separate classrooms is best for the development of their own individual identities, but sometimes it breaks my heart when I realize how much they cherish their unique bond.

Moses, on the other hand, announced to me this afternoon that he did not miss his brothers at all today. Every other day since Kindergarten started, Moses has asked me, "Where are my brothers?" or "I miss my brothers. Shall we go get them now?" I guess today I somehow managed to keep him well-enough distracted with preschool and errands. It's not an easy job, though, and I'm beginning to realize the significant role that the twins had in raising their baby brother these first two and a half years of his life. I've got to give them their fair share of credit for how well Moses has turned out!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Caleb...but it was kind of cute he mistook himself for Joshua! :)

    ReplyDelete