Saturday, July 2, 2011

All Those White Kids

Yesterday I took the boys to the doctor to have him fill out their school medical forms. While we were there, the doctor did a quick check-up on all three boys. Caleb is in the 50th %tile for height at 3'8" and is in the 60th for weight at 46 lbs. Joshua is in the 60th %tile for height at 3'9" and is in the 80th %tile for weight at 50.5 lbs. Moses is in the 60th %tile for height at 3'1" and the 75th %tile for weight at 31.5 lbs. I was pretty surprised to learn that Moses is in the upper percentiles for weight, despite not being unusually tall, since he looks so skinny. I guess it must be all those swimming muscles he's put on recently!

I just need to get a couple more forms filled out and I'll be ready to register the twins for Kindergarten, something I probably should've done a few months ago. I guess I'm just not in a huge hurry to ship my boys off to public school. It doesn't help that Joshua keeps telling me that he doesn't want to go to Kindergarten and that he thinks the other kids won't play with him. After he attended orientation, he told me, "I don't want to go to Kindergarten with all those white kids." I am still trying to figure out where he heard that, although it's quite possible that he genuinely made this observation on his own. True, the elementary school he'll be attending is notoriously homogenous (or at least much more so than his current circle of friends) but it really surprised me that my self-proclaimed "white" son would say that he didn't want to go to school with "all those white kids!"

No comments:

Post a Comment