Thursday, May 12, 2011

Guns and Swords and Slings, Oh My!

The twins are 5 and a half! It's hard to believe they are going to "graduate" from preschool in two weeks and will begin Kindergarten in the Fall.

Lately, all three boys have become fascinated with weapons. For the longest time, we didn't have any toy guns and so they'd turn coat hangers, toy drills, and drinking straws into guns. Then they were given water guns as a birthday party favor, and most recently they acquired some foam swords. Moses' newest catch phrase is, "Stand back!" which he sternly utters while flourishing his weapon of choice with his feet planted far apart and his brow in a furrow. I have no idea where he learns this stuff! The twins like to hold their guns while riding in the car with the windows rolled down, keeping their eyes peeled for imaginary bad guys hiding in the trees or flying overhead.

The boys have also recently started playing "David and Goliath". They like to hold their swords upside down and pretend that it's David's sling, with the handle being the pouch that holds stone. In all of their weaponry play, they always want to be the "good guys", so they tend to fight over who gets to be David. They've become very interested in their children's Bible, and the twins can actually read many of the words by sounding them out. One of their favorite stories is "Joshua and the Spies" which begins: "After Moses died, Joshua became the leader of the Israelites". Without fail, Moses always interrupts and vehemently asserts, "Hey! I not died!" They also enjoy watching Hanna Barbera's "The Greatest Adventure Stories from the Bible" movies, which I also watched when I was a child. The premise of this series is that a trio of modern-day archaeologists (Derek, Margo, and Moki) travel back in time to witness Bible stories unfold before their eyes. The other day, Joshua had the Bible open in his lap while he was watching one of these movies. After scouring the pages of the Bible, he sighed and said, "Derek and Moki are not in the Bible."

And now, a few quotes:

Moses: "I combing my hair. I a girl now."
Me: "No, you're still a boy. You'll always be a boy."
Moses: "Moses is a boy. Mommy is a girl."

Joshua: "I think we need to get a new car. This car is getting really, really old. I think we should get a Jeep."

Joshua: "Thank you, Mommy. You're being a really good girl for getting me a cookie."

Joshua: "He ate a lot of grass!"
Caleb: "She! Pinky is a she, Joshua."
Joshua: "Oh, you're right, I'm so sorry, Caleb. It was my fault. Pinky is a girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment