Thursday, September 23, 2010

Caleb vs. 6

A few months ago, I noticed that the digital alarm clock on our bedside table was facing the wall. I assumed that someone had accidentally knocked it that way, so I turned it around. After all, the clock does share tight quarters with a cluttered assortment of diapers, wipes, lotions, tissues, books, and toys. But the next time I came into the bedroom looking to see what time it was, I noticed that the clock was once again facing the wall. This continued on until one day when I finally caught Caleb in the act of turning the clock towards the wall. I asked him why he was turning the clock, and he became a little flustered and told me that he didn't want to see the "6". I asked him why he didn't want to see it, and he gave his classic reply, "Because I don't need to!"

When I turned the clock back around so that we could see the numbers, he started to freak out and yelled, "No! No! The 6 is coming! I don't want to see the 6!" and struggled to turn the clock back towards the wall. Even though the number 6 was not currently displayed, he knew that the numbers changed every minute and it was due to reappear soon. When he failed to thwart my efforts to keep the clock in a viewable position, he dashed out of the room. I can't help but wonder if it's some sort of spiritual thing? We have never told him that 6 is the devil's number or anything like that, and he has never before or since then shown any sort of aversion or favoritism towards any other number. Interesting, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment