Thursday, September 17, 2009

Twins' First Week of Preschool

The twins have completed their first week of preschool, and from what we can tell, it went really well! Joshua was excited about it from the get-go, but Caleb was hesitant and wanted Mommy to stay with him at preschool. The great thing about this preschool is that it's a co-op, so Joe or I will be helping out in the classroom once every 2 weeks, which should make both boys very happy.

On the first day of preschool the boys seemed a little disoriented when I dropped them off, which was to be expected. When I went to pick them up, though, their eyes lit up as soon as they saw me and they ran towards me, exclaiming, "Mommy, did you have fun at preschool?!" which means, "Mommy, I had fun at preschool!" We're hoping that, among other things, preschool will help the boys learn how to speak in the first person. :) When I asked them what they did at preschool, they told me they ate muffins and watermelon, washed their hands, sat in chairs and read a book with their teacher, cleaned up, listened to music, and saw chickens and bunnies. That's right, their preschool has its own chicken coop and each classroom has its own bunny! As you can imagine, this was a major selling point for me. ;)

Their teacher, Mrs. Lavergne, told me that Caleb and Joshua are such good boys and that they're adapting to the concept of "school" better than she expected. Most of their classmates have already been to preschool for a year or two, so the boys have some catching up to do. She said she feels like she's overloading them with new information, but that they're handling it really well. She told me that they are learning how to sit in a circle, carry their chairs correctly, and pour water from a pitcher into their cups, among other things. Mrs. Lavergne did mention that Caleb and Joshua definitely have their own "twin thing" going on and that they like to stick together. I'm so thankful that they have each other to help ease this transition to school which might have otherwise been difficult. Sometimes I feel sorry for Moses because he doesn't have a twin, but then I figure that most of the rest of us are singletons who successfully navigated the rough waters of childhood on our own. Having a twin with whom to share the journey is simply an extra special blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment