Friday, February 6, 2009

Playing Midwife

Caleb and Joshua love going to visit "Midwife Peggy". She is probably one of their most frequently-requested people. As usual, at my appointment yesterday, the boys joyfully chirped, "See baby brother!" as soon as I laid down on the bed and uncovered my belly. Their eyes were affixed while the midwives palpated my belly, measured the fundal height, and listened to the baby's heartbeat. Midwife Peggy remarked that Caleb and Joshua definitely display more interest in these proceedings than most other boys who accompany their mothers to prenatal appointments.

At home, Caleb and Joshua will often play their own version of "finding the heartbeat". They will find a small block or similar object and gently rub it against one of their stuffed animals' bellies or against my belly and say, "I'll make it feel better." For some reason--perhaps because they associate the midwife with the doctor--they seem to have assigned healing properties to the midwife and her ultrasound equipment. Yesterday, for example, I observed Joshua take a Gameboy game that our neighbor Lily had left lying out (which is plastic, grey, and actually somewhat resembles a piece of medical equipment) and press it up against one of his stuffed bears, saying "I'll make it feel better, bear, I'll make it feel better". I asked Joshua if he is a doctor, and he replied "Yes, I'm doctor!" I guess Joshua will have to settle for being a doctor since I have never heard of a male midwife :)

By the way, yesterday was my unofficial due date. My official due date used by my midwife is February 9th, but when I first found out I was pregnant, an online due date calculator told me that my due date was the 5th, and at the time I thought the earlier the better! But now that February 5th has come and gone, I'm quite content to let our baby boy stay inside of me a little while longer, although preferably before my own birthday two weeks from now!

No comments:

Post a Comment