Thursday, April 24, 2008

Oh, the Irony

Last night I arbitrarily decided that today would be a good day to embark on the journey of potty training. The boys have been watching "Elmo's Potty Time" off and on for the past week or so, and as a result have expressed a slightly elevated interest in sitting on the potty. Prior to being enlightened with the knowledge that the revered Elmo uses the potty, they would outright refuse to have anything to do with it. "Caleb, do you want to sit on the potty?" I would ask. "No!" would be his aloof response as he bolted off in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.


To prepare for Potty Training Boot Camp, I rolled up the rugs and dragged them into the lightly-trafficked dining room. When the boys woke up this morning, I removed their diapers and let them attack the day bare-bottomed. I brought the little potty out into the living room and coerced them to sit on it a few times, just to familiarize them with the concept. After breakfast, Joshua began to fidget then laid down on the floor and pleaded, "Diaper! Please diaper!" but I refused. Well, about 5 minutes later he peed on the hardwood floor. I had been watching both boys like a hawk all morning and immediately grabbed him and plopped him on the potty, but it was too late. "Good thing I rolled up the rugs last night," I thought to myself.


Later in the afternoon, Caleb had requested an orange so I was at the sink washing and peeling one for him. I had instructed both boys to stay with me in the kitchen so I could keep an eye on them and their bodily functions. I lost track of Caleb for no more than 15 seconds, only to discover that he had absconded into the adjoining dining room and peed squarely on one of the rolled up rugs. Oh, the irony!

No comments:

Post a Comment