Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Empathetic Caleb

I find great joy in that Caleb always wants me, instead of Mommy, to take him out of his car seat.  Katie's attempts to get Caleb out of the car when I'm around are typically met with sharp resistance.  Flattered, I'll come over to unbuckle my child, who quickly changes the tone of his "Daddy! Daddy!" cries from pleading to that of rejoicing.


That's how things are supposed to go, but they didn't go that way last night.  We had just pulled into the Safeway parking lot and I opened up the car door to get Caleb out, but instead of being greeted with his typical enthusiasm, he twisted away, crying out for "Mommy! Mommy!"  I was taken aback slightly, but I figured, at least, Joshua would welcome the opportunity to have Daddy get him out of the car.  Nope.  Both boys were begging for Mommy to do the honors. 


Now I was really bummed, so I thought I'd express my displeasure by sticking out my lower lip and hanging my head.  The boys, both being held by Katie now, began to notice my sullenness and a sincere expression of remorse came across Caleb's sweet face, complete with quivering lip and welling tears.  He looked at me, then away briefly as if pausing to think, and then writhed out of Katie's arm towards me.  I gladly accepted Caleb into my arms, but only held him for a few seconds before he wriggled back towards Mommy again, as if to say, "I'm sorry I made you sad, Daddy. You know I love you, but I just want to be with Mommy right now." 


Caleb was right.  I should have known that this single instance of rejection wasn't an indication that they boys no longer loved me.  How silly of me to take it so personally.  Sometimes you just want Mommy, and there's nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment