Thursday, November 30, 2006

Adventures in self-feeding

We are currently transitioning the boys' mealtimes away from spoon-feeding jarred baby foods and towards self-feeding homemade meals. The boys have been eating chunks of raw organic pears, cooked organic carrots, clementines, sweet potato, turkey, banana chunks rolled in organic wheat germ, organic bran muffins, oatmeal pancakes, and french toast sticks made from whole grain bread and cage-free eggs. Do you notice a trend here? Yes, we're really trying to give the boys mostly organic and unprocessed foods. They have also been enjoying tastes of Halmoni's yummy Turkey a la king and spaghetti.

When I first fed the boys muffins, Caleb held his muffin and took little bites like a gentleman while Joshua smashed his up and threw most of it on the floor. He knows that this is not acceptable behavior, because he will pick up a piece and look right at me as he dangles it over the edge of his high chair tray. Then when he's sure I'm watching, he drops it and waits for my reaction with a thinly veiled smirk on his face. Rascal!

It has not been easy for me to sit back and calmly watch the boys tear through the food I so painstakingly prepared for them like Taz from Looney Toons. I just keep reminding myself that it's the experience that's important, and that they don't need to eat every smidgen of food for it not to be a wasted meal. And I must come to grips with the fact that food will inevitably end up on the floor, all over their clothes, and in their hair, and that the vacuum is just going to have to see a lot more action from now on!

1 comment: